Lately I’ve
been studying about prayer.
This last week
I read in the Book of Mormon (Alma chapter 31)
about two very different prayers. The
first one was given by a group of people called the Zoramites who prided
themselves on how unique they were from the other group was something that
stood out to me. Their prayer was more
of a recitation that each person said, one after the other upon a stand called
the Rameumptom. Unfortunately after their rote prayers, they would go home and
never speak of their God again until they met again. Here is
their prayer:
Holy,
holy God; we believe that thou art God, and we believe that thou art holy, and
that thou wast a spirit, and that thou art a spirit, and that thou wilt be a
spirit forever.
Holy
God, we believe that thou hast separated us from our brethren; and we do not
believe in the tradition of our brethren, which was handed down to them by the
childishness of their fathers; but we believe that thou hast elected us to be
thy holy children; and also thou hast made it known unto us that there shall be
no Christ.
But
thou art the same yesterday, today, and forever; and thou hast elected us that
we shall be saved, whilst all around us are elected to be cast by thy wrath
down to hell; for the which holiness, O God, we thank thee; and we also thank
thee that thou hast elected us, that we may not be led away after the foolish
traditions of our brethren, which doth bind them down to a belief of Christ,
which doth lead their hearts to wander far from thee, our God.
And
again we thank thee, O God, that we are a chosen and a holy people. Amen.
.
Alma on the
other hand was deeply affected by the way that the Zoramites had perverted the
plain and pure manner of prayer. He was so disturbed by what he saw that he was
brought to his knees and poured out his heart to God. His prayer is striking
different. He prays with deep devotion to a God that he obviously has a
relationship with. Here is his prayer:
O,
how long, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that thy servants shall dwell here below in
the flesh, to behold such gross wickedness among the children of men?
Behold,
O God, they cry unto thee, and yet their hearts are swallowed up in their
pride.
Behold, O God, they cry unto thee with their mouths, while they are
puffed up, even to greatness, with the vain things of the world.
Behold,
O my God, their costly apparel, and their ringlets, and their bracelets, and
their ornaments of gold, and all their precious things which they are
ornamented with; and behold, their hearts are set upon them, and yet they cry
unto thee and say—We thank thee, O God, for we are a chosen people unto thee,
while others shall perish.
Yea,
and they say that thou hast made it known unto them that there shall be no
Christ.
O
Lord God, how long wilt thou suffer that such wickedness and infidelity shall
be among this people? O Lord, wilt thou give me strength, that I may bear with
mine infirmities. For I am infirm, and such wickedness among this people doth
pain my soul.
O
Lord, my heart is exceedingly sorrowful; wilt thou comfort my soul in Christ. O
Lord, wilt thou grant unto me that I may have strength, that I may suffer with
patience these afflictions which shall come upon me, because of the iniquity of
this people.
O
Lord, wilt thou comfort my soul, and give unto me success, and also my fellow laborers
who are with me—yea, Ammon, and Aaron, and Omner, and also Amulek and Zeezrom,
and also my two sons—yea, even all these wilt thou comfort, O Lord. Yea, wilt
thou comfort their souls in Christ.
Wilt
thou grant unto them that they may have strength, that they may bear their
afflictions which shall come upon them because of the iniquities of this
people.
O
Lord, wilt thou grant unto us that we may have success in bringing them again
unto thee in Christ.
Behold,
O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore,
give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren,
again unto thee.
What strikes
me the most about these two different accounts is the lack or considerations
and blatant disregard for others that the Zoramites had for their brethren the
Nephites and the utmost compassion and concern that Alma had for the Zoramites.
One group loathing the other and Alma being filled with charity for the people
who essentially hated him and what he stood for.
Alma
says, “Their souls are precious.”
After reading that I thought of how I might
react in a similar situation. What would I do if someone I knew was struggling
spiritually? How would I react if I knew someone was having a spiritual crisis?
Honestly I thought that I would shrug it off and say it wasn’t really any of my
business. I think my first instinct would be not to get involved. Alma’s example of fervent prayer for people
he hardly knew but cared so deeply for has helped me realize that I need to
change my attitude. If I can truly see people for who they really are, then I
can feel for them like Alma felt for the Zoramites. That is the key. Realizing that every person
on this earth is precious changes things. It has changed the way I think and
hopefully will bring me to my knees in prayer for those in my circle of
influence.
1 comment:
Love your blog site! This looks really great, and it also looks like you've had quite a few of your classmates visiting. Good job!
Bro C
Post a Comment