The world was turned upside down last weekend when terrorist
attacked the city of Paris. I was deeply
saddened by the attacks. The hashtag
#prayforParis started trending and I thought that I could do more than offer a
simple prayer. I went to the temple and lifted up my heart to God for the
people that were affected by the violence.
These tender feelings have stayed with me all week.
Now a week later we are faced with a global chaos. Political leaders in our own nation are
battling because of the Syrian refugee crisis that was pushed to the forefront
of the agenda in light of the recent attacks.
I am torn about the issue. My heart goes out to all of the people who
are suffering because of the evil that has surfaced.
“It is with great
concern and compassion that we observe the plight of the millions of people
around the world who have fled their homes seeking relief from civil conflict
and other hardships. Thanks to the generous help of our members, the Church is
providing assistance to migrants and refugees in several countries.
“Members may
contribute to the Church Humanitarian Fund using the Tithing and Other
Offerings donations slip. We also invite Church units, families, and
individuals to participate in local refugee relief projects, where practical.
“May the Lord bless
you as you render Christlike service to those in need.”
“We have been given a scriptural injunction from the Lord to
care for strangers among us in Leviticus
19:33–34: “And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not
vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born
among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself.”
“We have a responsibility to extend help as well as hope to
the hungry, to the homeless, and to the downtrodden both at home and abroad,”
said President Thomas
S. Monson during his April 1990 general conference address (“Conference
Is Here”).
“We can help LDS Charities with this goal. As we read or
watch news of refugees today, may we all think about the pioneer heritage we
all share as Latter-day Saints and reach out to the strangers or refugees among
us.”
Mormon pioneers at Red Buttes Camp on
October 19, 1856. The pioneers are trying to light a fire to cook with in heavy
snow and wind.
This council from our church leaders
seems a stark contrast to the fearful, hatefilled messages that are being
broadcast in the news by political figures and other people. There is much talk of security and making
sure that terrorist don’t come into our country under cover as a refugee. I get
that. Certainly we need to take care of
the security of our own people first. I totally agree that our national
security is a huge concern.
I just wish there was a way that we
could be compassionate and cautious at the same time. All of these thoughts and
more have been filling my heart and mind. I haven’t been able to reconcile them
all but I have found some comfort from reading the scriptures.
While reading Enos I was
struck by something that I had never thought of before. Enos prays mightily and receives forgiveness
for his sins. His very next thought is for his brethren. He says:
9 Now, it came to pass
that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of
my brethren, the Nephites ; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God
for them.
Later on in verse 10 Enos talks about
how he had received an answer that his brethren would be blessed according to
their obedience, and that they would suffer for their sins. Enos is saddened by this and doubles his
efforts in prayer.
Again he says in verse 11:
“I prayed unto him
with many long strugglings for my brethren, the Lamanites.”
The Lord then answers in verse 12:
“I
will grant unto thee according to thy desires, because of thy faith.”
Enos is realistic about the current
situation. He doesn’t dismiss the severity of the circumstances.
14 For at the present
our strugglings were vain in restoring them to the true faith. And they swore
in their wrath that, if it were possible, they would destroy our records and
us, and also all the traditions of our fathers.
But even though the outlook was bleak,
Enos and his people didn’t lose hope. They did their best, even though it was
in vain.
20 And
I bear record that the people of Nephi did seek diligently to restore the
Lamanites unto the true faith in God. But our labors were vain; their hatred
was fixed, and they were led by their evil nature that they became wild, and
ferocious, and a blood-thirsty people, full of idolatry and filthiness;
I think that there is a parallel for
our day. We have brethren (ISIS/terrorists) who are a wild, ferocious and
blood-thirsty people. They want to destroy us and the traditions of our
fathers. We also have millions of people
who are displaced and suffering. I think we can take a lesson from Enos and not
lose hope and faith. He knew it was bad, but he still prayed earnestly for
those people who hated him and his people.
It never crossed my mind to pray for
the terrorists last week. It
never dawned on me that both sides of the attacks were suffering. After
reading about Enos I realized that even though I can’t fix the mess that our
world is in, I can certainly pray with Enos like faith for my brethren who are
waging war in other parts of the world, and for those refugees who suffer. They
are all my brothers and sisters, because
are we not all children of God? Enos’
faith was rewarded, so why can't my faith be also?
Mormon was another example of desiring good for his
enemies. In the Words
of Mormon he says:
8 And my
prayer to God is concerning my brethren, that they may once again come to the
knowledge of God, yea, the redemption of Christ; that they may once again be a
delightsome people.
I realized after reading these two accounts that I can pray
and have hope for my brethren the Syrians, the terrorists, and all those in every country that have been victims of terrorist activity.
I can give financial support to the refugee cause. I can let optimism
fill my heart even though things are ugly.
Do I have all the answers? No. But I have hope and faith, and that is
enough for today.

1 comment:
That's beautiful sentiment. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment