Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Le Fort Maxillary Osteotomy/Midface Distention

The above title is the name of the procedure that our Annie will be having come June 6th.


We met with her PlasticSurgeon today to discuss the procedure.

Here is a brief recap of our conversation:

  • 2 1/2 - 3 hours in surgery
  • During surgery the docto r will make an incision at the top of the gum line exposing the entire bone area.The bon e will then be cut and detached from the maxilla, and then the gum tissue stitched back in place.
  • While under anesthesia, a halo will be placed on her head with tiny screws into the cranium.
  • An orthodontic device will also be placed in her mouth that will eventually attach to the halo.
  • We will spend approximately 4-5 days in the hospital in recovery. Much swelling to be expected. Full liquid diet. Rough couple of days after surgery.
  • On day seven after surgery we will start the distention, turning the device 1 mm a day for 10 days for a total of 1 cm. Th en hold it in place for 2 months.
  • During this time she can't swim in public pools, ride a bike, or scooter, or anything else that is risky.
  • Hopefully before she starts first grade, she will be able to have the halo removed and be able to get back to normal life.

Needless to say I am feeling that gut wrenching feeling again that always comes when I know I am up against something big.



6 comments:

amanda said...

That sounds like a surgery they talked about for my daughter in the future. But our doctors said they won't do it until she's a teenager. How old is Annie?

Crystal Price said...

She is 5 turning 6 this month. She had the alveolar bone graft last year and it was successful. How old is your little one? Does he/she have a cleft? I love getting to know other moms with cleft children. What's your email?

amanda said...

Wow. How did that go? I haven't read over your whole blog yet. My daughter is 2 and she had a BCLP (2 surgeries so far). My email is ajwalenga@gmail.com. Feel free to email me anytime!! :)

4mleyneks said...

Crystal- I am so glad you keep us posted on Annie's journey. She is a beautiful girl and I know all will go well just as it has in the past. She is truly a miracle.

Ammanda said...

You'll both do great! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Monica said...

Oh do I know how those procedures churn around in a mama's stomach.

Often I wish that I was able to find out about a procedure the day before it happens rather than having weeks or months to stew about all the what ifs.

She's going to do great, you're going to do great.